Piazza F. Zadra - 31020 Vidor
Tel.: +39 0423 986411
Located on the left bank of the Piave River, there are references to Vidor from as long ago as Roman times, when it was probably a stopping point on the Via Claudia Augusta. Subsequently, a little port developed in this spot on the Piave River in the Middle Ages. After the Benedictine Abbey of Santa Bona was founded in 1107, significant deforestation and land reclamation work began throughout the area. The abbey was built to house the relics of Saint Bona of Pisa that Count Giovanni Gravone, a participant in the First Crusade, brought back to Vidor from the Holy Land.
The castle was also built in the Middle Ages. Its position on higher ground than the nearby settlement meant that it had a protective role of great strategic importance, leading numerous feudal lords to fight for control of it until it was destroyed in 1510. In 1925, an ossuary/monument to the fallen of Vidor was built in its place to remember those who died in the First World War (and later also the Second World War). Every year, the road to the ossuary becomes the stage for the “Palio di Vidor”: a recreation of the numerous attacks on the fortress in the Middle Ages.
Vidor was later incorporated into the Republic of Venice, causing it to decline in importance and become a small farming town. The only trace that remained of its former status was a wooden bridge that allowed people and goods to cross the river. A new stone bridge was built in 1871, but it was blown up to cover the retreat after the Italian defeat at Caporetto during the First World War. Vidor was the setting for one of the bloodiest battles during the conflict: on 10 November 1917, Prussian troops disguised as Italian soldiers launched a ferocious attack on the Italian army, killing more than 300 men and setting the town on fire.
Vidor is now a significant wine-making location with a picturesque natural landscape, especially among the vineyards of the Colbertaldo hills.